Project TagsArc Flash
Valspar is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Sherwin-Williams Company, specializing in the development and manufacturing of paints and coatings.
Valspar, Inc. is consolidating their North American Research and Test Lab capabilities into one campus to be named the Valspar Applied Science and Technology (VAST) Center. This campus is 170,640 square feet, comprised of four (4) buildings centered on the intersection of 11th Avenue South and 3rd Street South in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Buildings 1 through 3 are now utilized by Valspar for laboratories and office support space. MCE provided full MEP design services for the Lab Facility which includes dust collection systems/ovens/chemicals/Class 1 Division 1 areas/fume hoods and spray booths. The MEP infrastructure/services were completely re-engineered to provide flexibility to allow future modifications to lab spaces as required.
Valspar is building out research and test laboratories in the 3-story portion and office support and storage functions in the 5-story portion in a proposed multi-phase build-out. The first is a 5-story building that was constructed in 1903 with a wood timber structural frame, wood decking and load bearing masonry exterior walls. This building incorporates 88,266 SF. The second is a 3-story building that was constructed in 1912 and has a poured in place concrete framing system, one way concrete slabs and a load-bearing masonry exterior. This building incorporates 82,374 GSF. The building restoration process was completed following Minnesota Historical Society structural rehabilitation requirements to preserve the historic integrity of the building.
MCE participated in the Xcel Energy Design Assist program which resulted in a project rebate to the Owner.